Garage door openers have come a long way since they were first invented in the 1920s.
Garage door openers today have a wide range of available features, as well as improved safety and security options.
With so many garage door openers available to choose from, it can be difficult to know which one’s best.
To help make things easier, we have compiled a brief overview of different garage door opener features and available options.
Read on to find out which features are right for your needs.
Here are some of the available features in garage door openers.
- Extra Horsepower - Extra horsepower lifts heavy doors with ease.
- Speed - Garage door openers today are faster than ever, no more waiting for that slow door to open.
- Alternate Power Sources - Battery back-ups are an important feature, allowing your door to open and close even if the power goes out.
- Automatic Lights - Garage door openers can come with automatic lights that can also be programed to come on at a certain time.
- Keyless Entry - Open your garage door with a single-button remote, or have a keypad installed outside of the door to access the garage without the need for keys.
- Minimal Noise - Minimal noise is an important feature that today’s garage door openers can provide.
Safety and Security
Safety and security are an important garage door opener features. Garage door openers today come with important safety features such as automatic reversing mechanisms, and “safety eyes” that detect whether something is in the path of the garage door. Other options include rolling code mechanisms, to help prevent intrusions, and strong locking mechanisms for added safety.
Type of Drive
There are four main types of drives when it comes to garage door openers.
- Chain Drive - Chain drive garage doors are the oldest style of openers, and they continue to be popular today. Durable, and economical, their only downfall is the noise factor; chain drive openers are not recommended if the garage is close to a bedroom.
- Belt Drive - Belt drive garage door openers use a rubber belt instead of a chain, making them quieter than chain drive openers. Belt drive openers require a slightly higher initial investment.
- Screw Drive - Screw-drive garage door openers use a threaded rod to open the door. They are another quiet option.
- Direct Drive –The quietest of all the options, direct drive openers are low-maintenance. These openers are one of the best options for garages that are adjacent to the home.
At Garage Doctor Denver, we make things easy for you. Let us know which features you would like, and we will be happy to find a garage door opener that’s perfect for your needs. Call Garage Doctor Denver today: 303-345-4707.